Pathways to Independence (PTI) was founded in 1987, first as a committee of the Learning Disabilities Association of St. Louis. In 1989, PTI became a separate not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization focused on providing services to adults with severe learning disabilities. In 1992, PTI served 30 individuals. By the year 2000, the program served 75. By 2010, PTI was serving nearly 110 individuals from St. Louis County and the City of St. Louis, including several individuals on a wait list for funded services. PTI continues to expand its service area anticipating services to over 150 in the year ahead by providing supports to over 30 individuals in St. Charles County. PTI is partially funded by the St. Louis Office for Developmental Disability Resources, the Productive Living Board of St. Louis County and the Developmental Disability Resource Board in St. Charles County, local charitable foundations, and private donations. All private contributions are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
Throughout the years, Pathways to Independence has been honored to acknowledge the following awards:
- 1998 – Merit Award from the Recreation Council of Greater St. Louis
- 2001 – Outstanding Recreation Program (honorable mention) from the Recreation Council of Greater St. Louis
- 2003 – Outstanding Quality Award from the Productive Living Board
- 2006 – Outstanding Recreation Program of the Year from the Recreation Council of Greater St. Louis
- 2008 – Outstanding Recreation Program of the Year from the Recreation Council of Greater St. Louis
- 2009 – Voice of Caring Partner on KMOX radio for February
- 2009 – One of three beneficiaries of I-64 Fun on the Freeway 5K hosted by the St. Louis Track Club
- 2010 – Received Mid Year Funding from St. Louis Office for Developmental Disability Resources to begin pilot program in City of St. Louis.
- 2010 – Awarded Full-Year Funding from St. Louis Office for Devepmental Disability Resources for first time.
- 2010 – Recognized as BEST WORTHY CAUSE by St. Louis Riverfront Times newspaper.
- 2012 – Awarded Pilot Project Funding to support up to 30 individuals in St. Charles County.
- 2017- PTI served 200 clients in Fiscal Year 2017 through our regular social skills programming and a partnership with Mers-Goodwill.